Specializing in Industrial Fuel Handling Products, Bill is President of the North American Standards Assessment Corp., (NASA Corp.) a private consulting firm that provides Product and Regulatory Training and Assessment Services.
Bill belongs to the Standards Engineering Society (SES) and is a long time member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). During a career spanning more than 30 years, he served 5 years as the Chief Inspector and Executive Director for the AMSCSC, an Authority Having Jurisdiction which was responsible for compliance monitoring in 62 Alberta Municipalities including heavy industry in both Fort McMurray and Fort Saskatchewan. During his subsequent 6 year tenure with CSA International, Bill was the Certification Specialist for Industrial Fuel Products and also served as Technical Advisor to the Canadian Gas Code. Bill has conducted numerous product and system evaluations as well as quality system and product manufacturing audits. He has authored several technical documents as well as having conducted conformance evaluations ranging from small components through capital refinery projects. In addition to participation in the development of consensus codes and standards, Bill has presented several Workshops and Seminars on Codes, Standards and Regulatory Requirements including sessions for the CSA Biennial Pipeline Forum.
Since launching NASA Corp. In 2007, Bill has developed and presented several training courses including many of the courses offered by the Canadian Standards Association. He has conducted Z662, B51 and electrical HazLoc training for several companies including Cameron, Enbridge, Husky, Irving Oil, Shell, Strike, Suncor, Syncrude and TransCanada. Bill has also provided expert witness services for various government departments including Solicitor Generals and Environment.
Bill has actively participated in the development of both consensus and non-consensus Codes and Standards for over 20 years. Current Participation in Code and Standards development includes:
- CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems – Technical Committee
- CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems – Editorial Sub-Committee (Vice-Chair)
- CSA B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code – Technical Committee
- CSA B149.1 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code – Technical Committee
- CSA B149.3 Code for the Field Approval of Fuel-Related Components on Appliances and Equipment – Technical Committee
- CSA B149.6 Code for Digester Gas, Landfill Gas, and Biogas Generation and Utilization – Technical Committee
- CSA 3.21 Industrial Gas-Fired Heaters – Technical Committee
- CSA ICHL – Integrated Committee on Hazardous Location Products
- ISO TC244 Canadian Mirror Committee (Chair)
- ISO TC 244 – various working groups)
- IEC TC 31 Canadian Mirror Committee
- IEC TC 31 – (various working groups)
- CPAC Pipeliner Competency Assessment Code (Technical Advisor)
- ISO TC 67 / SC 2 Pipeline transportation systems